Les Vignes de Montigny (the vines of Montigny) lie on the right bank of the Marne river, west of Épernay, with about 80% of the domaine’s south-facing vineyards planted to old-vine Pinot Muenier (65 years, on average). This cuvée is largely Muenier (90%) blended with Chardonnay from the domaine’s holdings in Cuis. The wine is fermented in a mix of barrels and steel with maloalactic blocked. The wine is bottled for second fermentation and left to age for three to four years before disgorgement. Finished with 3g/l, the resultant, full-bodied wine is dry and racy, with very fine bubbles and a long finish.
About this wine producer: The Roberts have been vine-growers since the nineteenth century, but the current estate dates only to 1960, when André Robert, whose grandfather founded the cooperative in Oger, established what is now one of the most important independent grower estates in the legendary Grand Cru village of Le Mesnil sur Oger. Bertrand Robert and his wife Colette brought the estate into the modern age, and in 2013, responsibility passed to their daughter Claire Robert, and her husband Jean-Baptiste Denizart. The estate is spread over 14 hectares in 53 parcels, more than half of which lie in Le Mesnil sur Oger itself, including a small parcel in Chétillon, the most prestigious vineyard in the village. Les Jardins du Mesnil is 100% Chardonnay from Le Mesnil dur Oger, 70% of which is fermented in stainless steel tanks, and the other 30% in used neutral barriques (see photo above). Finally, the wine is assembled and bottled in July following the harvest, and is matured in bottle for four years on the lees.